Important Code Enforcement Office Notes:
- A building permit is required for a structure over 144 square feet. All structures must meet the town setbacks for your zoning district. It is always best to be a good neighbor.
- A building permit is required for all roof work. You are allowed to go over an existing roof once. After that, according to NYS Code, you must do a tear off down to the sheathing and then put a new roof on.
- New windows with structural changes requires a permit.
- Any structural changes to a residence requires a building permit and architectural plans.
- Any alterations whose cost exceeds $20,000 require two sets of architectural stamped plans.
- A building permit is required for septic systems new or repair.
- You need to obtain a septic system inspection and report prior to transfer of real property (see more information below).
- In addition, you need to have both well and septic system approval before a building permit can be issued for a new home. Also, if an addition or alteration includes adding bedroom space, it too requires septic approval.
The best rule of thumb for you to follow would be if you are in doubt as to whether you need a building permit for a project, small or large, call before beginning the project. Such things as demolition, electrical, plumbing, decks, swimming pools, hot tubs, fences, additions, renovations, new homes, structures, roofs, septic systems new or repair require a building permit.
Once a building permit has been issued, the property owner/contractor is responsible for contacting the Code Enforcement Office to set up inspections per the permit to receive a final Certificate of Compliance or Certificate of Occupancy.
Effective 03.09.2020 a Short-term Rental Operating Permit is required per Town Code before rental of your property:
- Please review Short-Term Rentals (Chapter 170-71) and Noise (Chapter 113) before completing a Short-Term Rental Permit Application. The short-term rental permit application packet and fee schedule are listed below:
Applications & Other Information:
Affidavit of Exemption from WC-DBL for Owner-Occupied Residence and CE-200 Instructions
Approved Electrical Inspectors
Building Permit Application
Certificate of Non-Conformity Application
Demolition Building Permit Application
Dock Boat House and Boat Station Building Permit Application
Floodplain Development Permit Application
Gas Geothermal and Solid Fuel Permit Application
Generator Site Selection and Preparation
New Home Building Permit Application
Planning Board Application
Short-Term Rental Permit Application Packet
Solar and Generator Permit Application
Steep Slopes Permit Application
Swimming Pool Permit Application
Timber Harvest Permit Application
Town of South Bristol Code
Town of South Bristol Overlay Map
Town of South Bristol Steep Slopes Map
Town of South Bristol Zoning Map
Transfer of Real Property Inspection of Wastewater Treatment Systems
Zoning Board of Appeals Application
Zoning Code Violation Notification
Code Enforcement Hours
Monday-Thursday 7:00 AM to 3:30 PM (Call Ahead)
Friday – Town Hall Closed
**Please give at least 24 hours notice for inspections**
Code Enforcement Officer
Scott L. Martin email@example.com
585.374.6341 Ext. 3
585.362.2299 Mobile (Monday – Thursday only)
Deputy Code Enforcement Officer
Alan M. Pearce firstname.lastname@example.org
585.374.6341 Ext. 3
Planning Board & Zoning Board of Appeals Assistant
Diane Scholtz Graham email@example.com
585.374.6341 Ext. 5
Planning Board & Zoning Board of Appeals Assistant Hours
Monday-Thursday 8:00 AM to 4:30 PM; Friday – Town Hall Closed
Planning Board meets on the 3rd Wednesday at 6:30 pm
Zoning Board of Appeals meets on the 4th Wednesday at 7:00 pm
**Please check the website calendar, community bulletin board, important documents and notices for meeting changes.