Important Code Enforcement Office Notes:
I thought it might be helpful for me to cover some of the issues/questions that come up frequently.
- You need a building permit for a storage shed over 144 square feet. Otherwise, as long as it is not anchored to the ground it is considered a temporary structure and no permit is necessary. It is highly recommended, however, that you place even a temporary structure on your property so that it meets the town setbacks for your zoning district. It is always best to be a good neighbor.
- You are allowed to go over an existing roof once. After that, according to NYS Code, you must do a tear off down to the sheathing and then put a new roof on. All requires a permit.
- Structure siding no permit is required.
- New windows with structural changes requires a permit.
- Any structural changes to a residence require a building permit and architectural plans.
- Any alterations whose cost exceeds $20,000 require architectural plans.
- You need to obtain septic system approval before transfer of property. In addition, you need to have both well and septic system approval before a building permit can be issued for a new home. Also, if an addition or alteration includes adding bedroom space, it too requires septic approval. Depending on where your property is located in the town, you will need to contact either George Barden, Canandaigua Lake Watershed Inspector at 585-396-9716 or Tad Gerace, Conservation District Technician at 585-396-1450. If you need guidance as to whom to call, I will be glad to assist you.
The best rule of thumb for you to follow would be if you are in doubt as to whether you need a building permit for a project, small or large, call me before beginning the project. Such things as demolition work, electrical or plumbing work, decks, swimming pools, hot tubs, additions, renovations, new homes, roofs, septic systems new or repair, etc. do require a building permit.
Once a building permit has been issued, the property owner is ultimately responsible for contacting the Code Enforcement Office to set up inspections per permit to receive a final Certificate of Compliance or Certificate of Occupancy.
****Updated fee schedule has been approved by the Town Board on June 11, 2018 and is effective June 12, 2018****
****A building permit application – other is now required for all roofs and septic systems new or repair.****
Affidavit of Exemption to Show Specific Proof of Workers’ Compensation Insurance Coverage for a 1, 2, 3, or 4 Family, Owner-occupied Residence
Approved Electrical Inspectors
Building Permit Application – Other
Certificate of Non-Conformity Permit Application
Demolition Building Permit Application
Dock Boat House and Boat Station Building Permit Application
Floodplain Development Permit Application
Generator Site Selection and Preparation
New Home Building Permit Application
Planning Board Application
Solar and Generator Permit Application
Timber Harvest Permit Application
Town of South Bristol Code
Town of South Bristol Fee Schedule
Town of South Bristol Steep Slopes Map
Town of South Bristol Zoning Map
Transfer of Real Property Required Inspection of Waste Water Treatment Systems
Wood Gas and Solid Fuel Burning Permit Application
Zoning Board of Appeals Application
Zoning-Code Violation Notification